Do you agree that a website that is ranked is different from the one that is not? After all, you publish your website so that it appears on the front page of the Search Engine Page Results (SERPs).
But, getting your website ranked on the front page is not an easy task.
It needs that you improve the technical aspects of it so that it becomes easy for the search engine bots to understand, navigate and search the contents inside your website.
Here is where the technical SEO plays an important role. This is a part of on-page SEO to improve elements on your website so that you rank higher.
- 1 What Is Technical SEO?
- 2 How Can I Improve My Technical SEO?
- 3 How to Do a Technical SEO Audit?
- 4 Tools for a Structured Website:
- 5 How Do You Increase Your Site Loading Speed?
- 6 Tools for Speed Improvement:
- 7 Tools to Fix Broken Links:
- 8 Tools to check mobile responsiveness of your website:
- 9 Which Is the Best SEO Audit Tool?
What Is Technical SEO?
A technical SEO (Search Engine Optimization) refers to the technical aspects of improving a website through better indexing, page loading speed, hosting, content, and so on so that the technical health of your website improves and it makes the task of the search engine bots easy.
This improves the overall ranking of your website in the SERP and keeps you ahead of your competitors.
How Can I Improve My Technical SEO?
Prepare your SEO audit report that has all the recommendations to improve the website ranking and start working on it with the help of some available tools and the rest manually.
How to Do a Technical SEO Audit?
Prepare a technical SEO checklist of all the parameters that you have to test.
Let it be your technical SEO 101 checklist. You have various tools to identify the challenges affecting your website ranking and ways to improve it. Here, we present to you the advanced technical SEO tools & insights-
Structured data helps search engine bots to know about the contents on your website. This makes your content eligible for the search results and you will be awarded a higher ranking.
Schema is a standardized formatting rule that establishes data hierarchy. By marking contents on the page, the search engine finds it easy to organically discover links that match the search query.
Tools for a Structured Website:
Structured Data Testing Tool by Google:
It helps you to find if your page is using structured data. You just have to paste your website’s URL. It will check for the code and flag errors.
This tool checks for the schema usage. It will check whether the structured data meets the specifications or not.
Page Loading Speed:
We all know that nobody likes to wait for websites that take a longer time to load. This increases the chances of visitors bouncing the sites.
How Do You Increase Your Site Loading Speed?
- Check for minifying your scripts
- Minimize the images
- Broken links are eliminated using redirects. But, too many redirects affect the loading speed. See to it that your redirects do not point to other redirect pages.
- Enable browser caching especially when your website has many images to load.
- Remove any unwanted plug-ins that are causing load time issues
- Add CDN (Content Delivery Network). By this, you serve your site from a location near your visitor rather than loading it from a remote server in another part of the world.
- Once you start getting more traffic to your website, move from shared hosting to a dedicated server or at least a VPS hosting.
- Some of the tools give suggestions that will help you to improve the website speed.
Tools for Speed Improvement:
In this, go for Behavior-> Site Speed-> Speed Suggestions. Google performs an internal technical SEO audit and provides you with recommendations to improve the page load speed.
Google PageSpeed Insights:
This tool grades your website from 1 to 100 to know if your site is better optimized.
Internal linking helps to achieve higher ranking through efficient means of spreading ranking power among the pages.
- Your website’s important pages should not be more than three clicks away from the homepage.
- There should not be any broken links.
- Ensure that your site is clean and secure from hacks and breaches.
- See to it that your orphan pages get linked to other pages of your site.
Tools to Fix Broken Links:
This free tool shows you about the 404 error page or the broken link. Redirect the page and fix the broken link.
Broken Link Checker by SmallSEOTools:
Just paste your website URL on it and it performs an automatic check of all the linking pages of your website. It will help you find broken links if any.
Since 2014, Google has been giving importance to websites that have an https connection. This means that if your website is SSL certified, you have better chances to rank on the first page of SERP.
Google gives prominence to websites that are responsive. It now indexes the mobile version of the websites first. So test your pages for mobile-friendliness.
Tools to check mobile responsiveness of your website:
Responsive Design Checker:
This gives the option of checking the site responsiveness on various screen sizes.
This tool will show you how your site page appears in different Apple and Android phones of various sizes.
Which Is the Best SEO Audit Tool?
The process of full technical SEO audit is to analyze all the pages of your website. There are various tools to help you in technical SEO 2019 auditing.
It provides a comprehensive analysis of broken links, backlinks, on-page SEO and gives recommendations to improve the site visibility.
It gives suggestions on the site page speed, design, backlinks, and social media reputation.
This tracks the organic keywords, PPC keywords of competitors, backlinks, and moreover you can get a complete website SEO audit and position tracking.
It offers free tools like Business Listing, Keyword Explorer, Open Site Explorer, and so on.
SEO Site Checkup:
This analyzes the entire website in mobile usability, SEO issues, social media, servers, and many more.
Having good technical SEO is not something that is a one-time process. It needs continuous monitoring and maintenance with regular audits. It is then that you can not only rank high but also stay on top.